Friday, April 17, 2009

A Poem About Nothing


I was asked, by a friend, to write a poem about nothing.  So I did.

"Sometimes Nothing Means Everything"

"Nothing is wrong,"
I lie through my teeth.
And by nothing, I mean everything.

"Nothing is there,"
I tell those who ask.
And by nothing, I mean my world.

"Nothing happened,"
I cringe, as I hold back the truth in my eyes.
And by nothing, I mean nothing I'll admit to you,

For fear of shame,
Heartache,
And acceptance of the nothing I've buried for so long.

Sometimes nothing can mean everything.

So when I tell you, "Nothing's wrong,"
I'm lying; everything's wrong.
And all I want, is for you to see it in my eyes.

When I tell everyone that, "Nothing's there,"
I'm lying; everything's there,
In your hands, my world.

When I tell you, "Nothing happened,"
I'm lying; everything happened,
All at once.

And when I say, "Everything's fine,"
I'm lying.
Nothing is ever fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment