Thursday, February 18, 2010

Shall I Write A Play???

For my playwriting class, we have to write a 10 minute play, which is the equivalent to 10 pages of dialogue. I was not really excited about this assignment because I was lacking in the idea department and I wanted to write something that was some what humorous. I've realized that I can't really write humorous. So I'm sitting in class and I see a stage with 4 people standing on it at random places. I saw them on a completely black stage with no light and, at points of dialogue, spotlights would hit each character. I wanted them all on stage at the same time so the audience doesn't know they are there until the spotlight hits them; no entering and exiting the stage. Then I saw each of them on stage in different positions, to add contrast and a distorted view of balance. I saw one character on their knees, one standing in a defensive way, one with their back to the audience and one lying down on the ground. I hadn't seen any gender yet, but these different positions reminded me of different forms of suffering.

After much deliberation and thought, and still not quite right, I decided that the character on their knees would be female and her suffering idea is "I have no hope. I am at a dead end. I can't try anymore. I see no point in it. I can only wear this mask for so much longer." She is the victim of failed love interests. The character standing defensively is a male who is arguing with God about his beliefs. All of his dialogue will be presented upward towards the ceiling. his suffering idea is that all of his beliefs have been challenged and what he has based his whole life on is now nothing but a mix of confusion. The character with their back towards the audience is also male and he is suffering with the idea of self destruction and represents those who cut. His dialogue is presented as spoken word poetry. The character on their back is male. Originally I had him beginning on his back but after speaking with a few colleagues I decided to have him start off sitting in a chair with his head in his hands. This character, in a way, represents each of the other characters but at their breaking points. This is what connects each of them: each person suffers in their own way, but sadly, this is how most of them end.

Each person will have probably 3 turns to speak. The final spotlight after each person has had 3 turns to speak will be a spotlight on the guy in the chair, lying face down on the ground as if he has just jumped from a window or building.

At some point in the girls dialogue, i want the spotlight to shine on her and their be distressed music and have her do a choreographed number while still on her knees, and that's the only thin that happens in that spotlight. The guy in the chair, I don't think I am going to have speak at all. When the spotlight hits him, I want it to be film noir-esque. With light jazz music playing, the sound of rain and an off stage male voice explaining his struggles. Then, the guy with his back turned, like I said earlier is a spoken word poet. Possibly having a bongo hit a few times once his spotlight comes on before he speaks. The defensive stanced guy, I thought about having as a shakespearean genre with him speaking in shakespearean language, but I'm not sure.

After typing this all out, I don't really like the message that is being portrayed, so I'm going to try and come up with a more calming or hopeful ending, but this is just what I have so far. I also need dialogue, obviously, and also, a title.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would make sure that you get the right order between the first three characters, switch it up and see if two of them work better next to each, for example.

    I also agree that it could be a little more uplifting. Maybe if you make it look like each of the three are going to end up like the last one, but then change it so they don't?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely see if the first three characters could flow better in a different order, but I don't know how I could end the play in any uplifting way. I want it to end with it being the guy in the chairs turn to take spotlight and have it light on him lying face down. I know that's how I want it to end....but I just gotta figure out how I want to get to that point.

    ReplyDelete